Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Perfect Proposal

Have you ever been to the Circle City Lighting in downtown Indy?  Don't worry, neither had we.  So we thought we would make a day of it!

November 27, 2009, while we were still stuffed with the Thanksgiving meals, we headed downtown for a fun filled afternoon and evening.  Lance was leaving in less than a week for Germany, and we wanted to soak up as much time together as possible.  And I had a feeling, even though I honestly didn't know he had a ring, that, that might be the day.  But I was only hoping, dreaming and praying that he really truly felt the way I did.

So... we got in the Jeep and Lance pulled out his GPS and OFF TO THE ZOO!  And I thought!  Oh, that is a great place to propose if he is going to!  In front of the penguins, where they find there mates for life... or by the dolphins... or... or...  We had a wonderful afternoon at the zoo, enjoyed all the animals, cold and all.  And then we left to head to dinner.  And I thought... maybe at dinner....



So we get back in the Jeep and Lance, poor thing has such a bad sense of direction, pulls out his GPS.  I didn't know where we were eating, it was a surprise!  And let me tell you... St. Elmo's is a really great surprise.  One of the nicest restaurants in Indianapolis.  We had shrimp, steak, wine and I thought.... maybe?!?!  Just maybe?  And the we put our coats back on and headed out into the cold to go to get a place to see the Circle City Lighting.  But Lance had other plans....

So we start walking.  And I keep telling Lance we are going the wrong way.  He hasn't lived in Indy for 12 years and the whole sense of direction sucking thing, so I thought he was going the wrong way, but he wouldn't let us turn around.  We turned the corner and...


He had planned a carriage ride for us!  And I thought... Oh My GOSH!  So we rode around the city and enjoyed every moment of it.  Then we got out of the carriage and we started walking towards the circle to get our place.  And I started thinking....... maybe.... just maybe... I'm crazy.  And I've made this whole thing up in my head.... 

Well... If you are from Indianapolis or are visiting the day after Thanksgiving.  Seeing the Circle Lighting is really neat.... way, way to many people.... but beautiful all the same.  We got our spot and waiting till the lighting, and then there were fireworks.  And I thought... ... nothing.




So we walk back to the Jeep and he pulls out the GPS.  And we started heading back towards my parent's house and I thought.  Oh, we must be done for the evening and he is taking me home.  But when we got to the exit, we turned the wrong way.  And I thought... huh??  And that is when I realized he was taking me to where he grew up.  We pulled along side the house and he started telling me which window was his old room and stories about being a kid there.  Then he told me, this is where he grew up, where he was raised, and where his memories come from.  This is where he was raised into the man he is today.  And I thought, that is pretty neat - would have liked to have seen it in the daylight, but still very cool.  And we drove away.

Next we went to my parent's house.  And he pulled about 1/2 way down the drive, and turned off the car.  He started to get a bit nervous.  He started to tell me this is where I grew up, still live and where my memories are from.  He explained that this is where I was raised into the woman I am today.  And then he reached into the console and then got out of the Jeep.  Walked over and opened my door, helped me out of the car and then said this:

"My whole life I've been stuck between who I am and who I hope to be... I literally left home, traveled all over the world, only to find that 'who' I hoped to be is who I am in this very moment with you, right now, right here.  Baby, I have a terrible, terrible sense of direction.  I have never know where I'm going, or how I'm going to get there (hence my GPS and the compass in my watch).  My whole life has led me down so many roads and so many different directions and paths.  I never truly knew where I was going, until I met you.  I know now that all along, every step I have ever taken has been a step closer to you.  It has led me closer to your heart.  It has led me to this very moment with you, right now, right here.  I don't need tools anymore to tell me where I'm going ( he handed me a compass)... because baby, I'm not lost anymore.  You are my compass.  Our love is my compass.  And just like this compass will always point north, my heart will always point to you.  You will always be 'My Everything'.  And my only wish is that no matter what direction my life takes me, it will always be a direction to you.... and with you... as my partner, my best friend, my lover, and my wife.  Cassandra Elaine Smoot, will you marry me?"

Of course I said, "Yes!!!"

Thankfully he is a planner, and had written the speech out before hand incase he needed to look at it.  So I will forever always have my proposal.  Word for word.  xoxo

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment