Monday, November 22, 2010

Grandma Smoot's Pot Roast




My grandma makes the best roast ever (disclaimer: my mother's roast is also really good)!  This is a yummy all-in-one dish meal - makes clean up a lot easier :)  If you are a crock pot person or an oven type person, it works either way.  I make it like grandma, in an Graniteware roaster and use the oven.  It reminds me of sitting at the table with her and grandpa on a nice Sunday and enjoying a yummy lunch!

Pot Roast

1 chuck or round roast
Potatoes (I normally put 2 per person - but gage it on your pan size)
Carrots (You can use baby carrots or whole carrots - I use whole carrots and think 3 per person)
1 can tomato sauce
1 can cream of mushroom
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Fun fact: Any type of meat you are going to cook, grill, etc... you should set it out 30 minutes to an hour prior to cooking.  Of course cover with saran wrap or leave in it's packaging and place on a plate on the counter.  This helps the meat absorb juices better and cooks it better to the middle without making the edges of the meat tough. :)

-I set the meat out an hour prior.  With 15 minutes left, I dump the can of tomato sauce and cream of mushroom into the roaster (or your crock pot) and I whisk them together!

-I go ahead and place the meat in the middle of the pan.  I salt and pepper the top of the meat (use your grinders if you have them - the corse salt and pepper gives it more character :) ).

-Then, I start peeling the carrots and potatoes! *[Because I hate the trash cans, I place two sheets of wax paper on the counter and peel everything onto that (no fear of losing a carrot or potato to the evil trashcan) and it makes for an easy clean up!]



- I put the carrots in the roaster first, scattered around the meat.  Then I place the potatoes on top of the carrots, touching the meat.

*if you want to get wild and crazy! take an onion, and cut into wedges and scatter in with the carrots.

- Cover with lid and get ready to cook!
   - Preheat oven to 350F and cook for 3 hours
   - Crock pot: Low for 8 hours or High for 3-4

ENJOY!!!!
Serve with a salad and rolls!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment