Sunday, April 3, 2011

My 1st TDY...

Welp.  This is no fun and we haven't even left the house yet.  I figure it is better to get this started than follow him around like a lost puppy and get in his way.  Thankfully, it is only 5 days.  Even though it sucks.... it is just 5 days.  I keep telling myself this is a fortunate way to find out what it is like for him to be "TDY".  He promises me that there will be future TDYs that will be weeks, if not months long... and I'm not looking forward to, Lord forbid, him ever deploying again (we met a month after he got back from his 1st deployment).

So this will be my 5 days journey of being... well... here.  Just Tiggy and I.  I'll write every day.

Sunday, April 3, 2011.  Day 1.  He hasn't even been gone 14 hours....
I got barely any sleep last night.  I laid in bed last night, listening to Lance's deep breathing, praying for 4 hours.  Praying for his safety.  Praying for the guys that went with him.  That God will keep his hand around them while they are away.  Finally prayed for peace for my heart and mind, and fell asleep about an hour before I had to drop Lance off for him to head to the airport.  That was very hard.  I tried to follow the van as close as I could till they merged onto the Autobahn.....  I came home to an empty house.  Tiggy and I went to bed and finally drifted after Lance called and said that they made it safety to the gate.  He also made it safely to his end destination.  Praise the LORD!
Thankfully today was a busy day.  I had lunch with a big group of people which was nice, great to keep my mind busy.  As I entered the gate onto base, I got ready to turn the radio down to greet the airman that scanned my card... that is when I realized that the radio was never on...
Later this afternoon, a dear friend of my heart had an "Uppercase Living" party.  Found the cutest things ever!  That made me happy.  Though it rained my whole way home.... :(  Now I am watching Bones, cuddling with Tiggy, and finishing laundry.  Waiting for Lance to hop on Skype so that I can talk to My Everything....  Curious to know how I will sleep tonight with the other half of my heart so far away....

Monday, April 4, 2011.  Day 2.  
Didn't fall asleep till 5am.
Lance had asked me last night to try to be on tonight between 4-6, because that is when he hoped he would be able to be on Skype.... it would be a long day waiting.
Today I came to find a certain peace about this whole TDY business....  my dear friend of my heart invited me over for dinner tonight with her and her family.  I enjoyed myself so much.  We had a blast.  Not only did we have a great dinner (and I have a new recipe!) and a yummy dessert.  We played 4 Square!  Oh my goodness!  I haven't played 4 Sq. in forever!!  It takes me back to the days at camp and thinking we were so cool if we made it to square 4 and ruled the court!  I had forgotten all about the game.  But I am so glad they refreshed my memory!  I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!  I don't know which was the best rule... "Popcorn" "No hit backs" or "Twist after you hit".  But I might have to go with the "twist".  But maybe that is because that was my ruling when I got in the 4th sq. :)  It was the best rule ever!
And guess what!?!?  I still got to talk to Lance!  And you know what?  He didn't call me till almost 8.
So you might be asking what is this lesson on peace that I learned....  Having a dinner "date" was the perfect thing for me.  Not only did it get me out of the apt.  It gave me a social atmosphere and company I wouldn't trade for the world.  I didn't just sit in the apt waiting.  Waiting.  Waiting and waiting.... yet, I was able to have peace of mind.  I was able to lose the worry for a while.   I feel a much better.
Moral of the story:
Eat, drink and be merry... and if you get the chance... play 4 Square!!!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011.  Day 3.
I'm getting better.  I fell asleep at 3a.  And slept for over 6 hours!  That was wonderful... yet a lonely 6 hours of sleep.
Overall, it was a great day.  Another dear friend of my heart and I had lunch and went to Ikea.  I don't know if you have ever... ever been to Ikea.  If not... please, for your own sake.... GO!  I don't know what is stopping you, but go!!!!
We started out the day with a yummy, delightful lunch at a local Bistro.  They have one of the best salads ever.  And pizzas.  And soups.  Pretty much anything and everything you order there, is mouthwatering!  But today(!!) I got to try something new at the restaurant.  We got "flammkucken".  It is a flatbread German type pizza... but this specific flammkucken was a dessert one.  Sugar, cinnamon, apples and a cream.  It was heavenly.....
After lunch we went to Ikea.  I love to just walk around that store, but it is 10x better when you have someone to walk around with.  I was able to get a few candles, pillows for the couch, boxes for the kitchen and boxes for just random things around the house, PLUS a mixing bowl!
It was a great afternoon!

So maybe the moral of today should be... Have a great friend, good lunch, and go to Ikea.  And fall asleep knowing that my loved one is safe and sound and is enjoying himself :)

Wednesday, April 6, 2011.  Day 4.
Today was a good day.  A great day to be honest :)  I fell asleep at 4am, got up at 10 and started cleaning.  Today, I had a group of gals over for a girls' night.  We had homemade carmel  apple dip for a munchy snack, homemade pizza (with homemade sauce), and chocolate eclair cake for dessert.  I don't know about you... but I think my favorite part of the food, was dessert.  My favorite part of the evening was sitting around chatting away with some really great girls.  LOL we never got ourselves out of the kitchen.  We just sat around the table telling funny stories, just listening, and having a great laugh(s).  It was very, very therapeutic for my soul.  I can't tell you how I needed this girls' night.  I have needed a night like this since I got here almost 11 months ago.
The moral I took away from tonight... I will be able to survive this assignment.  I have great friends.  And I'm learning that I really, truly am beginning to understand what it means when people talk about their "military family".  xoxo

Thursday, April 7, 2011.  Day 5.
I slept from 6a-1p.  My sleep system is completely off.
So with a late start to the day, I went and ran errands... And I even test drove a few cars for fun :)  I think I'm in love with the Honda Pilot.  I think I'm sold.  What a beautiful. amazing beast of a vehicle.
Then I came home and started the 1st season of Grey's Anatomy.  Which I'm hopelessly in love with too.
Second day that I didn't get to talk to Lance :(

Friday, April 8, 2011.  Day 6.
Hooray!!  Lance is coming home today.
Just laid around for the morning.
When I was headed out to run errands, got a call from a good friend, I picked her up, and we went together!  Today they are saying that the govn't is shutting down and we'll get 1/2 our pay and gas stations and commissaries are going to close.  So we went and filled up the car, ran to the BX, went shopping off base and then went to a huge strawberry stand!  :)  Not only did we get strawberry wine but we learned some stuff about white asparagus!  And we also learned when strawberry picking season is going to be!!  We are pumped!  After our strawberry escapade we went to the coolest little hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant.  Had a wonderful dinner and then headed home.
Shortly after I got home I got my phone call!  Lance had landed and was getting ready to head home. :)
Hooray!  I survived my 1st TDY!!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment