Monday, December 6, 2010

Hearty Herbed Lentils and Rice



Another yummy meal that I crave on cold fall or winter days.  Comfort food at its finest!

I made this the other night for Lance and I.... he had never had, let alone heard of a "lentil".  He was a bit hesitant to try it, but went back for seconds.... debated thirds.... and then settled for taking the leftovers for lunch! :)

Hearty Herbed Lentils and Rice - Mom's Style
4-1/4 cups Chicken Broth
3/4 cup Dry Lentils
1 cup chopped onion or small onion
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup mozzarella cheese, overflowing

Stove:
Combine all ingredients (minus cheese) in a large sauce pan.
Bring to boil and cover.
Let simmer for 1 hour, stiffing occasionally.
Stir in cheese 10 minutes before serving.

Crock Pot:
Combine all ingredients (minus cheese) in crock pot.
Cover and cook on low 8-10 hrs or high 4-5.
Stir 1 or 2 times if possible.
Stir in cheese 10 minutes before serving.







TA DA!!!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment